Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Treading The Thin Line





As most have you have already heard the House has just passed President Obama"s health care reform bill Sunday night. I have to admit both Ben and I were really frustrated at first. There still is some disappointment which I guess is hard to not feel. The one major issue that bothered me the most was the federal funding on abortion. So through our taxes we all will be helping women abort their babies? If this is what I understand it to be I have an issue with that as well as many believers should. In our government's regulations someone can be an accessory to murder without ever being the person to execute the main crime but still serve time for it. To me it feels like we all are accessory to murder of these unborn babies.

My strong faith and passion for the Lord deeply conflicts with this new "could be" mandate from our president and congress men. So my question I've been pondering to myself is this.....How far are we to tread this thin line? Where is there a definitive answer?

"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments." "Which ones?" the man inquired. Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother,' and 'love your neighbor as yourself."- Mathew 19;18,19

"Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you. "You shall not murder. "You shall not commit adultery."You shall not steal. "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor. -Exodus 20;8-16

"If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder. If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. - James 2;8-11

In I Peter 2:13 it says "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him ....

Then again in these verses....

"Notwithstanding, lest we should offend them, go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money: that take, and give unto them for me and thee. "-Mathew 17;27

"They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's. "-Mathew 22;21

My thoughts are , how deepy rooted are we to be in these verses? If the "law of the land" was that we all were to commit murder once a day ordained by our government then what? Is not paying for a unborn baby to be murdered that different? I'm merely writing out my thoughts so if any of you have any thoughts or feedback please don't be shy :) This issue really bothers me, its a bit confusing to me as what through scripture we are to do. Where does the Lord's law overcome that of man?



I read this article that Bear had posted on his facebook which I think is a great reminder to us all to not get carried away with this world, specially with its corrupt politics(health care bill) I know I've been guilty of this lately....specially the night of the bill passing. We all need to remember that we are not of this world, merely living in it for a brief time. James 4;14 says..."yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes." We (I) need to trust in God's will and maintain our testimonies. In this article the author talks about being a strong witness through these difficult times to show God's glory throughout that He is the only constant in this world. Really great article if you get a chance read it...........

"Is it a problem that some of us who are tranquil as still water about biblical doctrine and ecclesial mission are red-faced about Nancy Pelosi and the talking heads on MSNBC? Is it a problem that some who haven’t shared the gospel with their neighbors in months or years are motivated to vent to strangers on the street... about how scary national health care will be?"

Also I'm sure that many of you have seen/heard/read Piper's message "No,Mr. President", but I wanted to post this video because its such a strong message, Piper really knows how to make an impact with his sermons.








Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Photobucket